Company: Southern Management Group
Position: Operations Bookkeeper
Location: Corporate Office – Destin
Revised: August 30, 2016
The Operations Bookkeeper serves as an integral part of the Accounting Department. Under the direction of the Controller, the Operations Bookkeeper applies principles of accounting to ensure the integrity of financial information for Southern Rentals and Real Estate companies. Primary responsibilities include the processing of payroll, calculation and payment of applicable payroll taxes, and accounts payable for various Southern Rentals and Real Estate companies with accuracy and according to established accounting schedules.
Specific requirements for the position include, but are not limited to, friendly, outgoing and helpful personality with excellent communication skills both in person and on the telephone. This position also requires a detail oriented, well organized, accurate individual who possess a strong work ethic. This individual should also be able to work independently, meet deadlines, work flexible hours and provide assistance with other projects.
- Payroll: process bi-weekly payroll for Southern Rentals and Real Estate companies, maintain and archive payroll records
- Payroll Taxes & Reporting: preparation and remittance of applicable payroll taxes and workman’s compensation insurance premiums
- Accounts Payable: process invoices and payment requests and recurring expenses; maintain vendor filing system; reconcile vendor statements; print and mail checks according to payment schedules
- Accounts Receivable: prepare bank deposits, and post associated revenue accurately and timely
- Reporting: assist Controller with month-end reporting and preparation of specialized monthly, weekly or ad hoc reports
- Pay and reconcile various payroll and benefits liabilities; ensuring accurate and timely employee deductions and payments
- Maintain fleet fuel and various vendor accounts – add and remove users, order new cards, add vehicles, adjust credit limits, reconcile statements, monitor mileage usages.
- Assist with month-end closing and reconciliation of balance sheet accounts
- Assist with annual preparation of 1099s and related tax filings
- Backup to Residential Leasing Accountant as needed
- Back up to Accounting Clerk as needed
- 5 years accounting experience or combination of post-secondary accounting coursework and experience
- Experience processing payroll and associated tax compliance and reporting
- Advanced Excel or reporting skills preferred, some Excel experience required
- Experience with AccountMate, PropertyWare or Lone Wolfe Accounting programs preferred
- This position is a full-time hourly position, normally Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
- Vacation time will be greatly limited during the summer season.
- Requested time off is also extremely limited during the first 10 days of each month due to the complexity of the Month End closing process.
The Operations Bookkeeper will occasionally have access to information that is to be held in the strictest confidence, and that any incidence of inappropriate breach of confidentiality shall be grounds for immediate disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Physical Demands and Working Environment
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the job.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use his or her hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The work environment is that of an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.