Frequently Asked Questions
About Southern's Property Management Program
Who is Southern?
Southern Vacation Rentals is a proud member of the Southern family of companies. Southern is a locally owned and operated company offering vacation rental, property management and real estate services on the Gulf Coast since 1995. Read more.
What is management fee?
The management commissions are set by the manager and based on projected annual gross rental income.
What does the management fee cover?
The management fee includes:
- Professional team of local Vacation Planners
- Website presence
- Accounting and financial services
- 24/7 guest services staff
- Security checks
- Comprehensive maintenance plan
- OwnerLink property management software
- Property Condition Manager dedicated solely to the overall care and maintenance of your property
- Owner Relations Manager dedicated to maximizing your revenue through yield management and competitive analysis
What are the start-up costs?
There are ZERO start-up costs.
Who pays credit card fees?
Southern covers all credit card fees on guest reservations regardless if the reservation is procured by Southern or referred by the property owner.
Who pays the cleaning fees?
Guests are charged the cleaning fees, in addition to the rental rates, when booking a reservation. Owners are only responsible for cleaning costs when they use the property and/or allow others to use the property at no charge. Read more about Southern’s Maintenance and Housekeeping services.
Who is my property manager?
With our unique approach to providing premier service, we commit two managers to you. Your Owner Relations Manager (ORM) is dedicated to driving revenue and maximizing your investment yield through continual monitoring of bookings and revenue, cost control, and market analysis to determine competitive advantages. Read more about Southern ORMs.
Your Property Condition Manager (PCM) is responsible for maintaining the overall conditions of your property, including personally managing housekeeping staff and facilitating maintenance items and vendors. Read more about Southern PCMs.
What marketing do you do?
Southern’s year-round marketing efforts include aggressive, multimedia advertising campaigns in targeted visitor markets. Through a blend of digital and traditional marketing, Southern maximizes rentals and revenue for our owners. Read more about Southern’s marketing.
What does my listing include?
Your property listing on SouthernResorts.com will include:
- A detailed, search-engine-optimized description
- Professional photography showcasing the interior, exterior and community features (where applicable)
- Property details
- Rates table
- Location map
- Buttons to share via email and social media
What is the inspection process?
For each reservation, a Southern Vacation Rentals representative will inspect your property adhering to strict standards. This is done to proactively maintain your property condition and to confirm there is no damage from previous guests. The inspection process allows us to tend to minor maintenance issues immediately and ensure the next arriving guest will enjoy the property in pristine condition.
What does the Maintenance Plan cover?
The Maintenance Plan covers:
- Unclogging toilets, sinks and tubs with normal use of plungers
- Replacement of easily accessible, standard A/C and heating filters on maintenance schedule
(Excluding specialty filters)
- Clearing jammed/clogged disposals and re-setting of disposal motors
- Replacing sink stoppers
- Installing toilet flush arms and flapper valves
- Caulking around sinks, tubs and other fixtures
- Checking and re-setting electrical breakers and ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI outlets)
- Adjusting refrigerator and freezer controls
- Cleaning clothes dryer lint vents and lint filters
- Replacement of all interior light bulbs
- Replacement of batteries in remote controls
- Replacement of batteries in easily accessible smoke detectors
- Re-programming of electronic component remote controls
- Re-installing towel bars and rods
- Tightening and adjusting shower door hinges and shower door towel bars
- Installing doorstops
- Replacing doorstop spring caps
- Re-installing window screens and screen doors (Re-screening is not covered)
- Tightening and adjusting cabinet doors, hinges and toilet seats
- Replacement of electrical and cable cover plates (Excluding decorative covers)
- Lubricating and adjusting door mechanisms as necessary
- Diagnostic service calls (HVAC, phone, appliances, electrical, plumbing and internet)
What happens when issues occur outside the Maintenance Plan?
Southern will take the necessary steps to coordinate repairs with the appropriate vendor(s). Any applicable charges will be reflected on your monthly Owner’s Statement.
Who pays for the linens?
Southern will provide, at no upfront cost to Property Owners, an initial supply of linens for use in your rental. Thereafter, Owners will be responsible for the prorated share of replacement to general linen pool as calculated by the sleeping occupancy of the property. The linen fee is assessed annually.
Is there a cost for keyless locks?
There is no charge for keyless locks. Southern covers the cost of the lock, lock installation and the monthly service fee for usage.
How are reservations booked?
Reservations may be booked on our web site, SouthernResorts.com, or by telephone. Southern employs a local, professional team of reservation agents that we refer to as “Vacation Planners.” Our Vacation Planners tour and familiarize themselves with the properties we represent and undergo thorough training on sales and customer service best practices.
What fees do guests pay?
With each paying reservation, guests are charged rental rates, cleaning fees, taxes and a service fee. The service fee covers the cost of 24-hour guest services staff and provides guests with a Peace of Mind protection plan that covers up to $2,000 of reported, accidental damage to the property. This Peace of Mind protection plan allows Southern to maintain guest relations, to keep our properties in the best possible condition and to remedy accidental damage at no cost to property owners.
Do you offer travel insurance?
Yes, all guests are offered optional travel insurance protection. Travel insurance is provided through a third-party company.
What is a departure clean?
On departure, each property undergoes a thorough cleaning of each room, to include sweeping/vacuuming, mopping, wiping down furniture, wiping down walls (as necessary), changing of towels and linens, and cleaning of all bathroom and kitchen surfaces (toilets, bath/shower, sinks, counters, appliances). Laundering service of bedspreads, blankets, etc. will be a separate fee if applicable throughout the year.
How does the guest receive check-in information?
After making a reservation, every guest receives an email invitation to our GoSouthern App. The smartphone App provides important, detailed information, including arrival and departure instructions, property door codes, amenity access codes, as well as information on area activities, restaurants and points of interest. Through the App, guests may also submit a maintenance request or contact a guest services agent. Information in the App is also available via a desktop computer or PDF download.
How are Deep Cleans performed?
We have developed a new, more operationally and cost effective approach to the typical deep clean. Our Refresh Clean Program improves property cleanliness and lowers our Property Owners’ cleaning costs.
How do I receive my monthly revenue proceeds?
Revenue is processed at the end of each month and is deposited electronically by the 10th day of the following month. Any reservations that start and end in two different months will be paid on the following 10th day of the departure month.
How do I get more information?
To learn more about Southern Vacation Rentals Property Management Services, please contact one of our area General Managers.
Please contact Richard Lamar — 877.853.3050 — if your property is located in Perdido Key, Pensacola Beach, Fairhope, Gulf Shores or Orange Beach.
Please contact Chad Blankenship — 888.876.2996 — if your property is located in Destin, Fort Walton Beach, 30A, Panama City Beach or Navarre Beach.